Monday, April 19, 2010

My Ideal Video Game

This is to answer a class assignment asking what our ideal video game would be in relation to our blog topics. These are my thoughts:

An ideal game covering my topic would be a game for African youth in Africa. I thought of the idea of an African game for American children but the idea didn’t hold as much water to me. The reason for this is that my blog topic seeks to demonstrate how technology is developing and growing in Africa and its unique applications. And so, my game would seek to get the minds of the younger children on the continent to think in more technological ways that are directly beneficial to themselves and their environment.
In my game, there would be a problem in the village or town to solve. This could be, for example, a way to transport water from the main village center to individual homes or an attack from an unnamed people (or species). The object of the game would be to utilize local things within the village to create the solution to the problem. This could be, in the instance of the water transportation scenario, a piping system or in the case of the foreign attack, some sort of weapon. In all instances, the goals of the game would be technology-oriented and require creative and critical thinking.

The gamer would continuously be rewarded by the accuracy of the parts they choose for the technical ‘problem-solving machine’ and the speed at which they are able to identify and assemble them. There would also be visual improvements to the game environment as the player approaches a feasible end that would benefit the whole village and possibly win them a monetary prize or title. Reward could also be given for the most environmentally conservative applications/steps.
I think this would work well for African kids because they love to be seen as clever and they love titles and prizes. I believe all kids do.

2 comments:

  1. Check http://mightyafrican.blogspot.com/2010/03/living-african-success-story-eyram.html . You might alr5eady know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about it actually. Thanks George.

    ReplyDelete